[darcs-users] Re: always long comment

Samuel A. Falvo II sam.falvo at falvotech.com
Wed Jul 14 14:43:11 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 14 July 2004 07:15 am, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> log files really don't work for me because I'm not that organized.
> I'm frequently working on two or three sets of parallel changes or bug
> fixes and cycle between them as they need attention.  Maybe if there
> was something like a darcs log feature or I could just pop up an
> editor, dictates and notes into a template containing date stamp, what
> files have been changed at that moment  ( --summary) and then record
> those changes into a log which could then be applied (after suitable
> editing) to a record.

???

I re-read the above paragraph some six times already.  I'm still VERY
confused.  How is this different from just popping up an editor to edit
a log file, then using "darcs record --logfile=..." to commit the
record?  I will admit, the bit about auto-time-stamping and the like is
completely new, but still permissible within the framework I documented.

I asked for the "logfile" option because of my experience with GNU/arch,
which supported something very much like what you describe above.

Here's how I typically work with my logfiles:

$ touch log.file
$ ...make some changes, test...
$ vim log.file
<add what I just did>
$ ...make more changes, test...
$ vim log.file
<add what I just did, again>
<repeat as necessary>
$ darcs record --all --logfile=log.file
$ cat /dev/null >log.file (start the file over again)

You can put all this into helpful scripts if you need to:

record.sh:
 #!/bin/sh
 cd ~/path/to/log.file
 darcs record --all --logfile=log.file
 cat /dev/null >log.file

log.sh:
 #!/bin/sh
 cd ~/path/to/log.file
 date >>log.file
 darcs whatsnew --summary >>log.file
 vim log.file

Obviously substitute your favorite text editor for vim if you wish.

> Otherwise, just a simple long-comment=y configuration/commandline
> option would be quite suitable.

Well, this will be the last post I make on this thread.  I have not seen
anything sufficiently different from my current practice to warrent
further input on my part.  But I hope my input has at least jostled the
mind a bit, and is useful towards finding a solution for you.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II