[darcs-users] "don't pull this patch now or ever again"

Sean Perry sean.perry at intransa.com
Wed Jul 14 15:24:45 UTC 2004

Björn Lindström wrote:
> I'm about to set up revision control of configuration files with darcs
> for a few different UN*X accounts.
>
> Now, these are a bit different. I don't run all programs on all of
> them. In particular, I only need mail, IRC, etc. config on one of the
> accounts.

I had a friend do this with CVS a few years back. He broke his home
directory into layers and put each layer into a separate module.

When he first logged onto a system he could check out just enough rc
files to have a usable shell again and then pick and choose what modules
matched his current location. He had even gone so far as to check his
email into cvs, so no matter where he went he could read his email. I
even saw him do things like start a draft, check it in, go home and
continue working.

His name was Joey Hess and a google search should turn up his document
about what he did and what issues he faced. Admittedly some of these
were deficiencies in CVS (I suspect he is using subversion now).