[darcs-users] darcs CGI scripts and large projects

BARBOUR Timothy Timothy_BARBOUR at rta.nsw.gov.au
Fri Jul 16 05:21:36 UTC 2004

I am experimenting with converting a sizeable (24MB source tree) project
from CVS to darcs. I had to fiddle with cvs2darcs a bit and ended up with a
few minor discrepancies between darcs and CVS (6 files that had been deleted
in CVS were still in the project in darcs, and two other files were missing
one-line changes in darcs). I am not sure how these came about, but suspect
that cvsps is not always able to get things right.

I found that darcs runs okay in terms of 'whatsnew' and 'record', although
'annotate' is slow. Unfortunately the CGI script (the original darcs CGI
script) takes about 8 minutes to do anything that is not cached (and old
cache entries are never removed). I like the original script because it is
written in Haskell, but I tried the Perl CGI script as well. When I run the
Perl script it fails with this message in the Apache log:

bad path_info "" at /usr/lib/cgi-bin/darcs.cgi line 219.
[Fri Jul 16 14:52:37 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Premature end of
script headers: /usr/lib/cgi-bin/darcs.cgi

It seems that the path is empty, but I have the following in
/etc/darcs/cgi.conf :

# The following are used by darcs.cgi (not darcs_cgi)
PATH = /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin

Does anyone know what is wrong ? I am using darcs 0.9.22, and got the Perl
CGI script from the Debian darcs-server package 0.9.22-1 .

Tim

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment to it are intended only to be read or used by the named addressee. It is confidential and may contain legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistaken transmission to you. The RTA is not responsible for any unauthorised alterations to this e-mail or attachment to it. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the RTA. If you receive this e-mail in error, please immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender. You must not disclose, copy or use any part of this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient.