[darcs-users] darcs CGI scripts and large projects

Will will at glozer.net
Fri Jul 16 07:25:37 UTC 2004

BARBOUR Timothy <Timothy_BARBOUR at rta.nsw.gov.au> writes:

> I found that darcs runs okay in terms of 'whatsnew' and 'record', although
> 'annotate' is slow. Unfortunately the CGI script (the original darcs CGI
> script) takes about 8 minutes to do anything that is not cached (and old
> cache entries are never removed). I like the original script because it is
> written in Haskell, but I tried the Perl CGI script as well. When I run the
> Perl script it fails with this message in the Apache log:
>
> bad path_info "" at /usr/lib/cgi-bin/darcs.cgi line 219.
> [Fri Jul 16 14:52:37 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Premature end of
> script headers: /usr/lib/cgi-bin/darcs.cgi
>
> It seems that the path is empty, but I have the following in
> /etc/darcs/cgi.conf :
>
> # The following are used by darcs.cgi (not darcs_cgi)
> PATH = /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
>
> Does anyone know what is wrong ? I am using darcs 0.9.22, and got the Perl
> CGI script from the Debian darcs-server package 0.9.22-1 .

This is actually the HTTP request path, not the PATH environment
variable.  Perhaps you are trying to use one of the Haskell darcs_cgi
URLs that contain a '*' character?  The new CGI is fairly paranoid and
rejects any requests that contain shell meta chracters.

The base URL for a repository is:

  http://<server>/cgi-bin/darcs.cgi/<repository>/

Regards,
Will