[darcs-users] "darcs get" crashes (usually)

Martin Schaffner maschaffner at gmx.ch
Wed Jul 21 11:37:07 UTC 2004

Wed, 21 Jul 2004 06:04:08 -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> I wrote:
> > I have a darcs repo which I can't "get", neither on Windows nor on Mac
> > OS X. On the mac, darcs usually does a "Bus error", sometimes a Seg
> > fault, and rarely it succeeds. It is in
> > relation to garbage collection
> >
> Sounds like a problem with mmap and your volume, since mmapped files
> get munmapped during the garbage collection.  Can you try running with
> a darcs compiled without mmap? Is this a mounted windows volume? If
>
> so, that may be the trouble.  On windows, mmap doesn't work right,
> since you can't maintain an mmap to a file after it is deleted.
>
> As to why it crashes on windows, I have no idea, since I hope your
> windows darcs is compiled without mmap enabled.  My guess is that on
> windows you're somehow getting a different crash.

Both the volume the repo is on and the volume where i am "getting" to are
local HFS+-Volumes (Two different ones). The problem doesn't manifest if I
"get" to the same volume the repo is on, maybe because it's faster, and it
doesn't garbage collect yet. The Windows version is:
http://glozer.net/darcs/darcs-0.9.22-win32.zip.
On Windows, the problem also manifests if I "get" to the same volume as
where the repo is.

I will also try on Mac OS X without mmap support.

--
Martin Schaffner