[darcs-users] Current repository only patches?

Lele Gaifax lele at nautilus.homeip.net
Sun Jul 25 19:54:03 UTC 2004

    Igor> Hi!  Up to know I used darcs mostly on top of CVS tree to
    Igor> track my changes between CVS commit/updates from remote
    Igor> servers. Darcs is briliant for this setup but now I am
    Igor> trying to factor out CVS at least for one project. But then
    Igor> I faced a problem.

You may then find useful my little script_, that has just grown a new
option, --single-commit, that does exactly that.  Beware, it's still
a little bit untested functionality.

Given that is can be used two-way, the scenario would be (minus
missing abilities :):

 a) importing cvs changesets into a darcs repos with something like::

      $ tailor.py --bootstrap -R YourCVSRoot -m YourModule ~/darcs/ym

 b) working in a copy of the darcs repos, do your changes&fixes

 c) periodically you would sync the darcs repos against latest CVS::

      $ tailor.py ~/darcs/ym

    and pull those into your working repository

 c) when you're satisfied, execute tailor on a third darcs repo,
    previously created with something like::

      $ mkdir ~/cvswc
      $ cd ~/cvswc
      $ cp -a ~/darcs/ym .

      # Manual tweak of a file required, right now, swapping first two
      # lines of ./tailor.info and putting the address of your darcs
      # working copy in the fourth...

    with this command::

      $ tailor.py --single-commit ~/cvswc/ym

hope this gave you the idea,
ciao, lele.

.. _script: http://nautilus.homeip.net/~lele/projects/cvsync/tailor.py
--
nickname: Lele Gaifax	| Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri
real: Emanuele Gaifas	| comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.