[darcs-users] Current repository only patches?

Igor Bukanov ml at igor.fastmail.fm
Sun Jul 25 23:12:36 UTC 2004

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 23:12:39 +0200, "Ketil Malde" <ketil at ii.uib.no>
said:
> "Igor Bukanov" <ml at igor.fastmail.fm> writes:
>
> >> Hmm...I don't see why it's so much more work: just tag your working
> >> directory as you suggest above, and pull the tag to your published
> >> repository?
>
> > The problem is that the publishing repository would contain many
> > overlapping patches or even record/unrecord pairs which corresponds to
>                                       ^^^^^rollback?
> > tiny changes.
>
> Okay. There's still the tag for people to pull, though?
>
> > The patches often have short temporary names without long
> > comments in most cases. I would prefer to build one single patch from
> > that with better comments and proper name and publish only that. AFAICS
> > it is not possible in darcs.
>
> Isn't it possible to create a patch that depends on the small ones?
> Or you can unrecord them and re-record them as one big patch before
> you publish?

Well, I realized that to clean all that temporary development noise I
can do something like:

1. Make diff against last export tag:

darcs diff --from-tag=MY_EXPORT_TAG > /tmp/work.diff

2. Run patch command to revert to previous stage without darcs noticing:
patch -R -p1 < /tmp/work.diff

3. Record that under some arbitrary name

4. Run patch command again to get to the export stage again without
darcs noticing

5. Run darcs rec to add proper comments, explanations etc.

At this stage my repository would contain

* The final combined patch with comments etc.
* The reverse of the previous development patches
* small development patch N without comments
* small development patch N - 1 without comments
* small development patch 1 without comments
* prevois export patch

Now I can tag "The final combined patch with comments etc." with
MY_EXPORT_TAG and push it to export repository.

AFAICS it should work but it is too complex! And it is abuse of the
darcs facilities.

Regards, Igor