[darcs-users] darcs help request: problem with send on w32

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed Jul 28 10:16:24 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 12:42:20PM -0300, Zooko wrote:
> One of the Mnet hackers, Arno Waschk, is having trouble using darcs on
> w32.  He can't send patches via e-mail.  You can read the discussion
> (including the discussion about whether the Mnetproject should use
> darcs or CVS or both) in the archives [1] or via gmane [2].
>
> [1]
> http://lists.mnetproject.org/pipermail/mnet-devel/2004-July/003456.html
> [2] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.mnet.devel/27
>
> I don't understand the problem, and I don't have a w32 box myself at
> the moment, but could someone please post to
> <mnet-devel at lists.mnetproject.org> and tell us (a) is this a bug?  (a')
> is there a database of known bugs? (b) is there some configuration or
> workaround Arno could do to be able to send patches via e-mail from his
> Windows box? (c) if this is a bug, is there any prediction for when it
> will be fixed?

I also don't have a windows box, so if one of our windows developers could
comment, that would be great.

The details of sending patches via email will depend on your
configuration--i.e. whether darcs was compiled with MAPI support.
Without MAPI configured, you probably can't send email (although you may be
able to, if you have "sendmail" mailer support, as might be the case under
cygwin).

Fortunately, darcs doesn't need to do the emailing for you.  You can do

darcs send -o foo.txt

and then use your normal email program to actually send that file (foo.txt).

Some people (including at least one windows-using darcs developer) have
MAPI support in their darcs, but haven't configured windows such that MAPI
can actually send mail.  If that is the case, then... well you either need
to figure out how to configure your windows machine to send mail, or to
send it by hand as above.

The MAPI output sends patches as base64-encoded attachments, which darcs
currently isn't able to decode, so you'll have to open them with a mail
program and save the attachment as a file.  Making darcs able to do this
decoding has long been on the TODO list, but since noone has complained
about it, it's been very low priority.  I've only once recieved a patch
which was base64 encoded, and that was when Peter was testing the MAPI
code.  (i.e. it's not too much work, and if you ask I'll add this feature,
but I don't care for adding a feature noone uses, since then I won't know
if it's broken.)
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org