[darcs-users] Re: File permissions versioning?

Samuel A. Falvo II sam.falvo at falvotech.com
Fri Jul 30 07:15:30 UTC 2004

On Thursday 29 July 2004 10:33 am, S. Alexander Jacobson wrote:
> My point is it looks like windows has exec permissions.  I
> don't know windows enough to know how to interact
> with them without cygwin.
>
> Note: the exec permissions affect the ability to
> execute programs from a DOS prompt!

This is perhaps true, and I do know that Windows NT ACLs do support a
distinct E-bit (Executable).  However, in practice, I wonder how often
it is used.

Since anyone can just use Notepad to whip up a quick batch file, I
suspect that by default all files have the E-bit set.  95/98 users have
no choice -- all files are potentially executable no matter what.

Perhaps what would be nice is something like a "darcs chmod" sub-command
that knew how to handle the execute permission portably?

--
Samuel A. Falvo II