[darcs-users] peer to peer darcs

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri Jul 30 08:40:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 07:27:17PM -0400, S. Alexander Jacobson wrote:
> Can darcs be used without any centralized repository at all (without
> requiring any particular machine to be available 24x7)?
>
> I would like to create a setup in which the repository contains a
> distribution list file.  Every time anyone makes a patch, it gets
> distributed to everyone on the list and everyone runs a procmail script
> that automatically applies incoming patches to their local repositories
> when they arrive.

The easy (and probably best) way to do this would be to have each person
have two repositories, a mirror of a virtual "central" repository, and
their own working repository.  They would never make changes by hand to the
"central" repository, but instead would send changes to the list and have
those changes automatically applied to their "central" repository.

The order in which patches are received wouldn't be a problem unless they
get a patch bundle before they have its context, but I don't think this
could happen (it depends on your list server), since it would require that
someone else recieve the "first" patch, then send the "second" patch, and
that I then receive the "second" patch before the "first" patch.  i.e. it
can't be a problem if the two patches are sent simultaneously (in the sense
that they are both sent before either sender receives the other one.

Of course, if the two patches did get received out of order, darcs would
fail, and (if you got the message) you could always apply them by hand
(i.e. with darcs apply from a mail program or something).

There is, of course, some question of how you'd bootstrap new developers...
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org