[darcs-users] peer to peer darcs

Andrew Pimlott andrew at pimlott.net
Sat Jul 31 22:39:46 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 06:15:43AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> Oh, I get it.  You could commute the patches into a minimal context, yes,
> that would be very clever (and I even thought about doing something like
> this at one time).  This would be a nice feature.

Then I guess that's what I meant.  :-)

> The only problem is that
> it could be very slow, O(n^2) in the worst case sceneario, in which half
> the patches in the repo are in the minimal context.  Specifying a tag to
> keep in the context would greatly alleviate the slowness problem, but would
> perhaps over-complicate the feature.  I guess something like
>
> darcs send --to me at work --to-tag 0.9.23 --minimal-context
>
> I'm not sure whether --to-tag would be appropriate, meaning I'm sending to
> a person who I know has version 0.9.23, or --from-tag, meaning push changes
> since 0.9.23.

I think we want to select the changes as usual, and separately say
pretend I'm sending this to a repository at such-and-such tag.  So I
guess you can get this feature today simply by maintaining such a
repository.  Except in a distributed system, a tag might not be the
right thing....  Maybe you just delay applying new patches to that repo
for say one day (or week, or month, ...) and hope that's good enough.

Anyhow, on today's internet, you probably don't have to worry about
people getting so far out of sync that this is really an issue.  Or am I
wrong?

Andrew