[darcs-users] specify patch by number?

Tuomo Valkonen tuomov at modeemi.cs.tut.fi
Fri Jun 4 13:48:03 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 02:03:19PM +0100, Tim Docker wrote:

> Perhaps I'm showing my lack of darcs experience, but I think it would be
> convenient to allow patches to be referenced by number, as well as name?
> I'm thinking along the lines of "-m 1" referencing the last patch, "-m 2"
> the one before etc. If this was supported, "darcs changes" could show the
> numbers in the listing.
>
> Thoughts?

The problem with this as far as I can see is that the patches may be
reordered so that the numbers may not stay the same. Especially they
may not be the same between repositories, but whether this is really a
problem in this case, I can't say. I might be wrong, but I would also
think it is against the philosophy of darcs to even consider patches
ordered in anyway.

I'd like make a counter-proposal: allow referring to patches by an
initial segment of the patch file name, a bit similarly to Monotone.
This intuitively seems "more unique" than a regexp of the name of the
patch.

--
Tuomo