[darcs-users] Impossible case in Unrecord.lhs

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Sun Jun 6 19:46:49 UTC 2004

darcs 0.9.20 told me this:

| /home/tommy/kod/larswm/upstream$ darcs unpull
|
| Sun Jun  6 13:58:34 CEST 2004  lars
|   * version 7.4.8
| Shall I unpull this patch? [yNvq?] y
|
| Fail: bug in darcs!
| Impossible case at Unrecord.lhs:226 compiled 11:26:37 May 15 2004
| Please report this to darcs-users at abridgegame.org

This is what I did: I extracted a newer version of larswm from
a tar file.  I cd:ed into its top level directory and made a
soft link there to the _darcs dir in my "upstream" branch.
Then I recorded (from this extracted dir to the upstream
branch -- a smart method, I thought).  I also tagged the new
version, and removed the extracted dir and the link in it.
After a while of merging from upstream with my own branch
(in a scratch repo) I found out I forgot the --look-for-adds
flag, so I cd:ed into the "upstream" branch, unrecorded the
tag and unpulled the latest patch (to redo it right).

I should really have used unrecord since the recorded changes
never hit the working copy of the "upstream" branch (I forgot
to do a revert in it), but anyhow I got this "Impossible case",
so I guess something unexpected happened.

I tared the repo in the state is was and put it on
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~ptp/pub/impossible_unrecord_repo.tgz
if it can help.  Unpull on this repo will reproduce the error.