[darcs-users] Moving a tag?

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue Jun 8 10:25:32 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 09:37:03PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> I'm thinking of the following scenario: I tag foo-0.3.7, then before
> the release I find a critical bug.  How do I add a single patch to
> foo-0.3.7?
>
> The obvious solutions are making foo-0.3.7 into a branch (wasteful, at
> least as long as darcs is not able to relink files from two distinct
> pulls), or having a family of tags foo-0.3.7a, foo-0.3.7b and so on,
> and requesting that users grab the latest.
>
> I'd be happy to hear your suggestions.

You can't modify a tag (unless the tag is unreleased and you can unrecord
as someone suggested), but you can create several tags with the same name,
if you like.

I would say you probably (release-management-wise) should give new names to
bugfix releases (foo-0.3.7a, etc), but you can also tag each release as
foo-0.3.7-LATEST, and then ask users to run

get -t foo-0.3.7-LATEST REPOURL

Of course, if you have a consistent naming scheme like this you don't
really need the LATEST since

get -t foo-0.3.7 will get the latext tag which matches the regexp
"foo-0.3.7", which would match any of the foo-0.3.7x tags.
http://www.abridgegame.org