[darcs-users] Darcs advocacy

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Tue Jun 8 12:27:37 UTC 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Charles Goodwin wrote:

> The irony is that the industry standard is CVS.  Our experience of darcs
> has proven to be far smoother than our trials and tribulations with CVS.
> I submit that flakiness is relative, and that relative to the other
> products in the field (CVS, Arch, etc) Darcs cannot be classified as
> 'flakey'.

I'm an experienced CVS user, and I experienced more situations that could
be clearly classified as bugs in the three days I referred to than I've
seen in several years of CVS usage.

> Any bugs we've encountered have been easy to overcome (usually using
> 'darcs revert' to undo the aforementioned merging issues that sometimes
> prevent the unpulling of patches).

Yes, that's been the usual work around for me too. It's somewhat less
unpleasant than fixing CVS screwups; but (for me) it's less easy to
understand what actually happened and how to avoid the situation in the
first place.

> If you wait for darcs to be perfect then you'll be waiting too long.  No
> software is ever perfect.  Now is the ideal time to get darcs on the map
> before SVN becomes the industry standard and GNU Arch the distributed
> standard.  Darcs could usurp Arch if only the world knew about it.

Fair point.

Cheers,

Ganesh