[darcs-users] announcing darcs 0.9.21

Bryn Keller xoltar at xoltar.org
Sat Jun 12 19:27:14 UTC 2004

Thanks for the windows binaries, Will.

I have encountered an error when trying darcs out. Perhaps I'm misusing
the 'darcs add' command, but I think an error message would be a big
help in that case.

I have a directory structure like so:

darcstest
  |--src
     |--gnu
         |-- getopt
              |-- (bunch of .java, .properties, and other files)

I wanted to add the gnu folder and all its contents (recursively), so I
did the following:

C:\src\darcstest>darcs initialize
Successfully initialized tree!

C:\src\darcstest>darcs add -r src\gnu

C:\src\darcstest>darcs whatsnew

Fail: malformed filename

C:\src\darcstest>

Oops. I started over, thinking perhaps a forward slash was required,
despite the fact I'm on windows:

C:\src\darcstest>darcs initialize
Successfully initialized tree!

C:\src\darcstest>darcs add -r src/gnu
Skipping:
adddir ./src/gnu
Skipping:
adddir ./src/gnu/getopt
Skipping:
addfile ./src/gnu/getopt/COPYING.LIB
Skipping:
addfile ./src/gnu/getopt/ChangeLog
Skipping:
addfile ./src/gnu/getopt/Getopt.java
Skipping:
addfile ./src/gnu/getopt/GetoptDemo.java
Skipping:
addfile ./src/gnu/getopt/LongOpt.java
Skipping:
addfile ./src/gnu/getopt/MessagesBundle.properties
Skipping:
addfile ./src/gnu/getopt/MessagesBundle_cs.properties
Skipping:
addfile ./src/gnu/getopt/MessagesBundle_de.properties
Skipping:
addfile ./src/gnu/getopt/MessagesBundle_fr.properties
Skipping:
addfile ./src/gnu/getopt/MessagesBundle_no.properties
Skipping:
addfile ./src/gnu/getopt/README

C:\src\darcstest>darcs whatsnew
No changes!

This is much more informative, but not my desired result.

Then I thought, perhaps the fact I'm adding a subfolder without having
first added the parent folder is the problem:

C:\src\darcstest>darcs initialize
Successfully initialized tree!

C:\src\darcstest>darcs add src

C:\src\darcstest>darcs add -r src\gnu

C:\src\darcstest>darcs whatsnew

Fail: malformed filename

Okay, so it really does requires forward slashes?

C:\src\darcstest>darcs initialize
Successfully initialized tree!

C:\src\darcstest>darcs add src

C:\src\darcstest>darcs add -r src/gnu

C:\src\darcstest>darcs whatsnew
{
adddir ./src
adddir ./src/gnu
adddir ./src/gnu/getopt
addfile ./src/gnu/getopt/COPYING.LIB
hunk ./src/gnu/getopt/COPYING.LIB 1
+                 GNU LIBRARY GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
+                      Version 2, June 1991
[snip]

Yes, that's it. So, I'd like to see:

1. Support for backslashes in path names, or at least a note in "darcs
--help" saying that I have to use forward slashes regardless of the fact
I'm on Windows.

2. When adding a child directory to the repository, the parent directory
should be added automatically if necessary. Or else, the "skipping"
error messages should mention that they're skipping files because the
parent directory hasn't been added to the repository, so I know what the
source of the problem is.

Thanks, and I look forward to trying out darcs!

Bryn