[darcs-users] binary changes in interactive mode

Matteo Vaccari vaccari at pobox.com
Sun Jun 13 12:05:57 UTC 2004

Hi everybody,

I discovered Darcs a few days ago and i'm hooked already.  I feel the
goodness I feel when I learn to use a good tool, just like I felt years
ago when learning to use Emacs.  But I digress.

One thing that I find confusing is why Darcs insists on showing me
binary diffs, for instance when I do "darcs record" without the "-a"
flag.  What is the use of that?  In most cases I checked in a new
version of a .jar or a .dll.  There is nothing intelligible about the
hex dump of a .jar file, that scrolls for a couple of minutes on my
console before stopping.  Wouldn't it be more useful to just ask
"Confirm changes to binary file such-and-such?".  Am I missing something?

Matteo