[darcs-users] Using Darcs for large projects

Matteo Vaccari vaccari at pobox.com
Fri Jun 18 08:15:14 UTC 2004

Dear Darcs users,

I am working on a project that is "large", not in terms of number of
developers, but in terms of the size of the source and other documents;
we are porting an ancient system on a newer (although not necessarily
better) operating system.  I really need a distributed source control
system; we have to work on location, with no network connectivity, and
at our own place.

The size of the development and documentation tree is about 267M, and
growing.  My initial stab at converting to Darcs was to "darcs
initialize" (that was easy!) then "darcs add -r *" (that also was
painless).  Then I did "darcs record -a", and the trouble began.  It
took 20 minutes, and I had to change that to "darcs +RTS -K32m -M720m
record -a"

That left me wondering, is Darcs ready for this?  Or, rather, am I doing
it in the best possible way?  Could you give me useful tips for managing
a large darcs repo?  What if a developer does not have 1G of RAM available?

By the way, I'm using the Windows version of darcs, if that makes any
difference.

Matteo