[darcs-users] problems & suggestions

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri Jun 18 10:43:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 09:34:29AM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> MS> * Have a per-repo max-file-length setting (maybe saved in
> MS> _darcs/prefs?), and the ability to convert a repo to use another
> MS> max. filelength.
>
> What is needed is a general mechanism to associate metadata with
> patches.  Possibly by adding more fields to the inventory file.
>
> That would allow decoupling the filename from the patch name: it
> should be possible to have a patch with hash foo in a file named bar.
> By default, darcs would still use filenames derived from the hash, but
> it would be possible to have repositories with arbitrary filenames.

This would work (and would be better than the idea I had), but I hesitate
to *require* the filename field, if for no other reason, because it would
force another repo format transition.

We'd have to modify read_repo and friends, but not the contents of PatchSet
(since the patches are read lazily).  write_inventory, write_patch,
write_*checkpoint would all need to be rewritten.  read_patch would have to
be eliminated, but it seems it isn't used anyways.  get_checkpoint would
need rewriting... and add_to_inventory.
http://www.abridgegame.org