[darcs-users] problems & suggestions

Martin Schaffner schaffner at gmx.li
Fri Jun 18 23:22:02 UTC 2004

On 18.06.2004, at 09:24, Ketil Malde wrote:

> Martin Schaffner <schaffner at gmx.li> writes:
>
>> The "I don't want to see hunks" idea is not only valid for
>> added/removed files, but also binary files. Instead of handling
>> special cases, why not just always ask for every hunk patch:
>
>> hunk <file> <line>: <N> lines; shall I show them? [yn] n
>> Shall I record this patch? [ynWsfqdjk?] y
>
> Because it is twice as many questions?  I usually get around this by
> doing 'darcs rec -a' (is it possible to do 'darcs rec -a {file}',
> btw?)

OK, then what about something like:

hunk <file><line>:<N> lines: Shall I record this patch? [ynwVsfqdjk?]

where "v" means "view"?

David Roundy wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 09:34:29AM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > What is needed is a general mechanism to associate metadata with
> > patches.  Possibly by adding more fields to the inventory file.
>
> This would work (and would be better than the idea I had), but I
> hesitate
> to *require* the filename field, if for no other reason, because it
> would
> force another repo format transition.

For myself, this is not absolutely necessary anymore - I found out that
if my co-worker shares a directory on his windows computer and I mount
it as smb://<computer>, then I can write files with names longer than
31 chars to it.

Right now, I'm having weird problems with darcs on my Mac (OS X
10.3.4): When I do "darcs record" or "darcs pull", it tells me:
Waiting for lock /Users/martin/darcs/_darcs/lock
all the time, even though that file doesn't exist, not even while it is
doing that.

When I try to init a new directory, it tells me:
darcs failed:  Failure creating temp named _darcs/prefs/boring
With a version of darcs from a short time ago, it tells me:
Fail: takeLock: does not exist (No such file or directory)
but sometimes it is successful...

BTW here's a patch I wanted to send but couldn't record:

~/darcs martin$ darcs whatsnew
{
hunk ./DarcsCommands.lhs 165
-           "type \"darcs --extended-help\" for a more technical
description of some of these commands\n"
+           "Type \"darcs --extended-help\" for a more technical
description of some of these commands.\n" ++
+           "Type \"darcs COMMAND --help\" for help on a particular
command.\n"
}

Martin