[darcs-users] problems & suggestions

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Jun 19 10:44:50 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 01:22:02AM +0200, Martin Schaffner wrote:
> Right now, I'm having weird problems with darcs on my Mac (OS X
> 10.3.4): When I do "darcs record" or "darcs pull", it tells me:
> Waiting for lock /Users/martin/darcs/_darcs/lock all the time, even
> though that file doesn't exist, not even while it is doing that.

Hmmmm.  Sounds like more trouble with the new NFS-safe locking. :(
Which filesystem is this problem on?

Can you try DARCS_SLOPPY_LOCKS=1 darcs record/pull?

This will revert to the old locking behavior.

If you can try pulling (or getting) and running the most recent darcs, that
would be great.  If darcs won't pull at all, let me know and I could send
you a tarball.  I've added a bunch of diagnostic error messages to the
locking code, so perhaps we can see what's going wrong here.

I've found a bug in the locking code--there wasn't enough space in a
filename buffer for systems with long host names:  this showed up when I
tried running on my mac.  With this bug fixed, I'm optimistic that the new
locking code may work reliably (meaning on all systems).

> When I try to init a new directory, it tells me:
> darcs failed:  Failure creating temp named _darcs/prefs/boring
> With a version of darcs from a short time ago, it tells me:
> Fail: takeLock: does not exist (No such file or directory)
> but sometimes it is successful...

This is another manifestation of the same problem as above.

> BTW here's a patch I wanted to send but couldn't record:

Thanks!
http://www.abridgegame.org