[darcs-users] Moving a tag?

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Fri Jun 25 14:56:07 UTC 2004

DR> The annoying part of setting up hard links with pull is that you
DR> have to be careful to do it only when the merge hasn't modified
DR> the patches.

Well, the cunning plan I've been thinking about would be to maintain a
``siblings list'' of repositories that all commands (get, pull, etc.)
can use as sources of hard links.  Just before writing out a patch, a
command would check whether the patch is in one of the siblings, and
do a hard link instead of a copy if it is.

For all commands, the siblings list would come from a --siblings
command line option.  In addition, pull would add the source directory
to the siblings list.

If done righ, this could solve both the problem of copying on pull and
of extra net traffic when getting multiple branches from a remote
repository.

Or am I completely offtrack here?

                                        Juliusz