[darcs-users] Preference editor

Nigel Rowe rho at swiftdsl.com.au
Wed Jun 30 08:22:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:15, Ketil Malde wrote:
> Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at pps.jussieu.fr> writes:
> > NR> $ darcs set author ...
> > NR> $ darcs set parent ....
> > NR> $ darcs set test ....
> >
> > Yes, that rolls off the tongue.
> >
> > But what's the dual?  show?
>
> How about just 'darcs set author' to print the current author value,
> and 'darcs set' to print all set values?
>
> -kzm

No, I personally would prefer
	$ darcs show ....

Should we not stick to conventional english meanings where that makes sense?

set means:
      To make to assume specified place, condition, or
      occupation; to put in a certain condition or state
      (described by the accompanying words); to cause to be.
      [1913 Webster]

show means:
      To exhibit or present to view; to place in sight; to
      display; -- the thing exhibited being the object, and
      often with an indirect object denoting the person or thing
      seeing or beholding; as, to show a house; show your
      colors; shopkeepers show customers goods (show goods to
      customers).
      To exhibit to the mental view; to tell; to disclose; to
      reveal; to make known; as, to show one's designs.
      [1913 Webster]

Besides,
	$ darcs set author
with no arg, would logically mean to remove the 'author' setting.  Ie set it
to nothing (as distinct from $darcs set author "").

Pedantically yours,
	Nigel

- --
	Nigel Rowe