[darcs-users] yikes?

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue Mar 2 14:50:07 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 08:32:25PM -0800, Adam Megacz wrote:

> > Yikes, pending has conflicts!
>
> What does this mean?  How do I make it go away?

Certain darcs commands create changes in the repository that have to be
remembered, and these are stored in a patch called "pending".  You can read
it in _darcs/patches/pending.  Basically it holds things like renames, file
adds and deletions, etc, until those changes are recorded.

If your pending has conflicts, it probably means there is a bug somewhere
in darcs (unless you edited it yourself...), which means that I am very
interested in what happened (i.e. if you could keep a copy of the broken
repo, and possibly make it available to me, I'd greatly appreciate it.  The
"Yikes" message means that the "pending" patch cannot be cleanly applied to
the recorded version of your repository.

This could happen if you had a power failure at the wrong time during a
record, for example, since _darcs/current gets updated before
pending--except that then you'd have a lock file left over... if there is a
command that can leave the repository corrupt without leaving a lock file,
that's a bug.  :(

The fix for this is usually to edit pending manually, but first I'd run a
darcs check to make sure that _darcs/current is all right (since the
corruption could be there just as easily as in pending).  Then you could
look at pending, and it it's small, the problem may be obvious (or at
least, obvious to me...), something like removing a file twice, or removing
a file that you know is already removed.  Deleting _darcs/pending is always
safe in that it can't affect any of your recorded changes, but is also
unsafe in that if *can* affect your unrecorded changes (such as setprefs,
file additions, etc).  I usually end up just deleting pending when I get in
this kind of situation (usually it happens when I introduce bugs into darcs
accidentally).
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org