[darcs-users] Per-directory version control

Sean E. Russell ser at germane-software.com
Wed Mar 3 18:58:44 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 13:49, Kenneth Knowles wrote:
> Exactly!  Without the "subproject" command/concept in darcs, this is true,
> and is the right solution.  But with subprojects, there is no additional
> maintanence, just setup...  I'm feeling pretty far afield, because I have
> no projects that work like this, and I may be missing subtleties.  Anything
> else?

No, I think the "subproject" concept would work; we're mostly just debating
the semantics of "subproject".  When I say "sources", I mean "sourcecode" --
things that get interpreted by a computer.  In any case, I can't think of a
better term for it than "subproject", so, while I still dislike the
connotations, it should functionally address my problem.

What I don't understand is how you're going to address the issue of pulling a
project that includes a subproject from a repository.  darcs get just uses
the data in the _darcs directory that it finds on the server, AFAIK, so it
would require some additional work to force it to recurse into all
directories it finds on the server to see if any of them also contain _darcs
directories.  This sounds like more than just a wrapper around the darcs
client.

--
### SER
### Deutsch|Esperanto|Francaise|Linux|XML|Java|Ruby|Aikido