[darcs-users] Re: Merge and conflicts

Samuel Tardieu sam at rfc1149.net
Fri Mar 5 13:43:43 UTC 2004

>>>>> "David" == David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> writes:

David> This is when both changes are identical (it only does it once),
David> or if both changes add a line at the same location in a file
David> (it chooses which goes first alphabetically), or similar cases.

Choosing the first one alphabetically can lead to a disaster. For
example, if two developpers A & B add an entry to two parallel list
structures, in one file developper A's change may go ahead of
developper B's and in the other file it will be the reverse situation.

Is there a way to deactivate this kind of merge in darcs? Maybe with a
flag on the command line? Merging identical changes is fine of course.

David> These are still conflicts, but usually all that is needed to
David> resolve this sort of conflict is a pull (which results in the
David> conflict) followed by a whatsnew (to see what darcs did with
David> it) and a record.

This is the point where I'm getting lost :)

Do you mean that if I pull a patch and there is a conflict, darcs will
leave unrecorded changes in my working directory and if I record those
changes they will automatically be classified as a merger patch for
the conflicting ones?

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam at rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam