[darcs-users] Re: feature section in manual

Samuel Tardieu sam at rfc1149.net
Tue Mar 9 15:11:50 UTC 2004

>>>>> "David" == David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> writes:

David> I just added a "features" section to the darcs manual, and
David> would appreciate feedback as to whether I left anything out
David> that you like about darcs.

There is something I like but don't know how to explain clearly. As
long as my changes are kept private (not published everywhere), I like
the ability to unrecord previous changes and file them as separate
changes or group them as one logical change. "Rewriting the past history"
if you want.

I find myself often doing things such as:

% [add feature foo]
% darcs record -a -m "Add feature foo"
% [add feature bar]
% darcs record -a -m "Add feature bar"
% [hack further feature foo]
% darcs unrecord -m "Add feature foo"
% darcs record -a -m "Add feature foo"
% [realize that feature bar is in fact two features, bar1 and bar2]
% darcs unrecord -m "Add feature bar"
% darcs record -m "Add feature bar1"  [with interactively selected changes]
% darcs record -m -a "Add feature bar2"
% darcs push

(from here, I won't touch existing recorded changes)

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam at rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam