bug ? - RE: [darcs-users] Re: Merge and conflicts

BARBOUR Timothy Timothy_BARBOUR at rta.nsw.gov.au
Wed Mar 10 00:19:46 UTC 2004

[...]
> No.  A merger patch indicates that a conflict exists, but
> doesn't indicate
> how to resolve that conflict.  The resolution of a conflict
> is an ordinary
> patch, which doesn't commute with the merger patch.  So if I
> create a patch
> (modifying an empty file)
>
> hunk ./filename 1
> +bar
>
> and you create a patch
>
> hunk ./filename 1
> +baz
>
> When I pull (or apply) your patch, there will obviously be a
> conflict.  The
> recorded version of the file will remain empty, but in my
> working directory
> the file filename will contain:
>
> bar
> baz
>
> and darcs whatsnew will show
>
> hunk ./filename 1
> +bar
> +baz
>
> If I record this change, it will resolve the conflict.  If I
> don't record
> it, the conflict will remain in my repository, and someone
> else who pulls
> both my patch and yours from the repository will see the
> conflict and have
> the opportunity of resolving it.

It would be nice if the manual explained how to deal with conflicts.

I just tried essentially the above scenario. It worked as you describe,
however there is something that puzzles me: if I start pulling the patches
to a third repo (initially empty), the conflict resolution patch behaves
differently if it is pulled with the other patches or separately, even
though the order is the same. More specifically, I have tried two ways to
pull the patches:

(i) pull -a <src repo>
(ii) pull <src repo>  ... ;  pull <src repo> ...

(i) works as expected, and there is no conflict (presumably because the
resolution patch resolved it). OTOH, (ii) offers to pull each patch
individually, with the resolution patch last. If I pull each patch in turn,
there is no conflict. If I pull all except the resolution patch, there is a
conflict (understandably). However if I subsequently pull the resolution
patch, there is still a conflict, and it is a more complex one! I would have
expected it to resolve the conflict, regardless of whether it was pulled in
the same pull as the other patches.

In case this is a bug, I have attached the repositories for your
examination.

Tim

-- sorry about the lame .sig --

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment to it are intended only to be read or used by the named addressee. It is confidential and may contain legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistaken transmission to you. The RTA is not responsible for any unauthorised alterations to this e-mail or attachment to it. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the RTA. If you receive this e-mail in error, please immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender. You must not disclose, copy or use any part of this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient.