[darcs-users] sugggestion on command naming

Tuomo Valkonen tuomov at modeemi.cs.tut.fi
Wed Mar 10 15:14:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 09:15:12AM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> Another is that this means what
> appear to be identical commands will behave differently:
>
> darcs push http://abridgegame.org/repos/darcs
>
> will be very different from
>
> darcs push abridgegame.org:/var/www/repos/darcs
>
> even though they look like they're just using different protocols to do the
> same thing.  Yuck.

Wouldn't it be simplest to consider the http case equal to where you don't
have permissions to modify the repository? Given that darcs is interactive
in many cases, I'd think the following behaviour would be quite good (the
locations in brackets being entered on the command line or read from prefs):

    push [http://foo/bar]
    Unable to push. Press ^D to abort or enter email address [foo at bar]?

    push [foo:bar]
    Permission denied. Press ^D to abort or enter email address [foo at bar]?

    push --email
    push --email-to foo at bar

If webdav support was added, then http pushes could also work.

P.S. Does anyone have any comments on my meta-repository suggestion?

--
Tuomo