[darcs-users] sugggestion on command naming

Adam Megacz adam at megacz.com
Fri Mar 12 04:21:00 UTC 2004

David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> writes:
> Secondly, what is the difference between the two? I think you're imagining
> that the first one will be "automatically" applied, but that isn't
> something that darcs does.  That's the business of the recipient of the
> email.

Now I'm truly confused.  In the current darcs, if I "push" a patch to
an email address, what difference does --and-apply make?

And If I push a patch to an ssh host/dir, what happens if I don't use
--and-apply?

> Another option would be to make the default behavior determined by
> the target repository configuration, much as currently is the case
> with _darcs/prefs/email.

This is ideal.  The remote repository knows how it should be accessed;
the user doing a checkin often doesn't.

> The target repository could have a _darcs/prefs/applyas containing
> the username to apply as.

I'm still not 100% clear on why this feature is here... if you have
access to sudo, you should have sufficient privileges to create a
group and turn on the g+s bit.  I agree that the sudo thing presents a
lot of problems and adds a lot of complexity.

  - a