[darcs-users] sugggestion on command naming

Tupshin Harper tupshin at tupshin.com
Fri Mar 12 04:49:28 UTC 2004

Adam Megacz wrote:

>David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> writes:
>

>>Secondly, what is the difference between the two? I think you're imagining
>>that the first one will be "automatically" applied, but that isn't
>>something that darcs does.  That's the business of the recipient of the
>>email.
>>

>Now I'm truly confused.  In the current darcs, if I "push" a patch to
>an email address, what difference does --and-apply make?
>
>And If I push a patch to an ssh host/dir, what happens if I don't use
>--and-apply?

In the current darcs, there isn't a notion of pushing to an email
address. Push is always pushing to an archive
reachable by http, ssh, etc. In all cases, --and-apply is an *option*,
but isn't the default unless specified in
your prefs. And, in all cases, push will revert to sending by email
unless --and-apply is specified. Look at the
output of "darcs push --help".

>>Another option would be to make the default behavior determined by
>>the target repository configuration, much as currently is the case
>>with _darcs/prefs/email.
>>

>This is ideal.  The remote repository knows how it should be accessed;
>the user doing a checkin often doesn't.

This isn't a given. The remote archive could be accessed in multiple
different ways (e.g. some people
with ssh access, and some who have to submit through email). The remote
archive can express a
preference, but it has to be overridable.

-Tupshin