[darcs-users] sugggestion on command naming

Aggelos Economopoulos aoiko at cc.ece.ntua.gr
Fri Mar 12 13:36:58 UTC 2004

On 12 Mar 2004 05:51:27 -0500
"Zooko O'Whielacronx" <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:

> Now I'm confused too.
>
> > In the current darcs, there isn't a notion of pushing to an email
> > address.
>
> Why not?

I think it's because darcs needs to read the inventory of the target
repo to know what changes it should push.

> > Push is always pushing to an archive reachable by http, ssh, etc. In
> > all cases, --and-apply is an*option*, but isn't the default unless
> > specified in your prefs. And, in all cases, push will revert to
> > sending by email unless--and-apply is specified.
>
> Why?

("why isn't it the default?") Probably because David feels the email
method is better :) As explained before, when you're pushing to a repo
you own, the email method is asynchronous so you don't have to wait for
the tests to finish. If you're pushing to someone else's repo, you
normallly don't wan't to modify it behind their back; using email they
have a chance to review (and possibly reject) a patch before it is
applied.

> > Look at the
> > output of "darcs push --help".
>
> I did, but it didn't help explain the why's and wherefore's.
>
> Like Adam Megacz, I still don't understand the concept of application
> being separate from pushing.

HTH,
Aggelos