[darcs-users] sugggestion on command naming

Aggelos Economopoulos aoiko at cc.ece.ntua.gr
Fri Mar 12 13:37:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:09:57 -0800
Adam Megacz <adam at megacz.com> wrote:

> David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> writes:
> > Hmmm.  I guess the problem is that it seems to me that with a
> > properly
> > configured repository, the email option should be the default.
> > After all,
>
> I think the email solution is really elegant, but we eventually
> decided against it since we put a ton of effort into setting up a
> keying system based on ssh keys, and nobody wants to learn PGP (and
> maintain a new set of keys
>

> > if someone wants to push patches to the darcs repository, email is
> > the way
> > it is done.
>
> PGP is a major barrier to this becoming the "preferred method".
> *Especially* the fact that there is no tool to convert RSA keys in
> standard formats (X.509, OpenSSH, PEM, etc) to PGP RSA keys -- even
> though at the mathematical level they are certainly equivalent (and
> X.509/OpenSSH/PEM are all mutually convertible using freely available
> tools).
>
> I dunno, I was really psyched when I first read that darcs supported
> this, but not being able to use our existing trust infrastructure is a
> big letdown.  One possibility would be to provide an option to use
> openssl to sign using ssh keys -- this would make darcs a lot more
> attractive to people who already use them.  Openssh's ~/.ssh/id_rsa is
> just a DER-encoded RSA private key (ie 'openssl rsa' can read it); in
> fact you could probably do this with just a few lines of code to
> invoke the openssl binary rather than having to link against any
> libraries.

Hmm, now there's a real problem. With a solution, too ;)

> > I don't like the idea of darcs (by default) going out and trying to
> > ssh to another computer just to see if you have permission to run
> > some program named darcs on some other computer, and whether running
> > that program is successful.
>
> That's fine; I just think push-and-DONT-apply is really confusing.  I
> still don't really understand what it does.  What is it useful for?
> When I push a patch using email, why would I not want to apply it?

After you've mailed a patch, it's the responsibility of the owner of the
target repo to decide what to do with it. If you're the owner, you may
decide to set up your system so that all patches from you get
automatically applied. For patches you get from others, you'll
probably want to review the patch you got before you apply it, unless
you blindly trust the sender.

> And what happens to the patch if it doesn't get applied?  Does it go
> to patch heaven? ;)

To the bitbucket more likely 8)

HTH,
Aggelos