bug ? - RE: [darcs-users] Re: Merge and conflicts

BARBOUR Timothy Timothy_BARBOUR at rta.nsw.gov.au
Mon Mar 15 01:20:56 UTC 2004

[...]
> Hmmm.  Good idea.  I've added a TODO on this, since I won't
> have time for
> it today.  It probably deserves a separate section in the
> introduction or
> getting started or somewhere... or maybe I need to add a "using darcs"
> chapter to bridge the gap between "getting started" and the specific
> command references.

Thank you. Ideally the manual will have some very simple (but illustrative)
examples that show how to do these things.

> This is expected behavior, and is the reason for the
> --no-resolve-conflicts
> option in darcs apply.  That option exists specifically so that this
> problem won't happen on pushable repositories.  I could add the
> --no-resolve-conflicts option to pull as well, but it's hard to see a
> practical context in which one would want to use it.
[explanation...]

Thanks for the explanation.

[...]
> It has occurred to me that the goal should be that pulling
> patches in any
> order (which is allowed by dependencies) should give the same
> final result,
> provided the final repository contains no conflicts.

Sounds like a fine definition.

> It would be helpful
> to have a test in the test suite to verify this, so if you're
> sufficiently
> motivated (and have enough spare time), it would be helpful
> to me to have
> a script that creates a repository with a bunch of conflicts
> and conflict
> resolutions (the more complicated the better) and then checks
> that you get
> the same final result independent of the order in which you pull the
> changes.
[...]

I am afraid I do not have enough time even to do justice to my own projects.

Tim

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment to it are intended only to be read or used by the named addressee. It is confidential and may contain legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistaken transmission to you. The RTA is not responsible for any unauthorised alterations to this e-mail or attachment to it. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the RTA. If you receive this e-mail in error, please immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender. You must not disclose, copy or use any part of this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient.