[darcs-users] darcs build on win32 (msys/mingw) fails

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed Mar 17 11:35:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 09:26:37AM +0100, Peter Strand wrote:
> ghc on win32 is shipped with its own version of gcc, which it uses for
> compilation of C files.  But the configure script uses whatever gcc found
> in the path to detect headers, and will thus find a lot more than ghc can
> find. I usually configure with a few extra -I and -L flags, to make sure
> that ghc's gcc finds relevant headers. Not completely correct since
> different compilers are used for configuration and compilation, but it
> works as long as they are similar enough.  I think the correct way to do
> it is to either get ghc to use mingw's gcc (-pgmc /usr/bin/gcc ?), or to
> get configure to use ghc's gcc. But I haven't tried either of these.

I've made a change to make configure use ghc as the gcc for its tests.  It
works for me, and I'd be interested in hearing if it helps with the windows
compile.  This really seems like the right thing to do--the whole point of
configure is to automatically test for these things.  I suppose you'll
still have to add the paths, but this way if you don't, configure *should*
tell you there's a problem.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org