[darcs-users] please help me RTFL

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed Mar 17 13:29:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 10:03:00PM -0800, Adam Megacz wrote:

> After much pondering and studying of the theory of patches, I'm
> coinvinced that I could get the "partial checkout" functionality that I
> want if I could simply mark a patch as "don't ever push/pull this unless
> specified by name" -- ie a patch sticky to the current repo.
>
> I remember this being mentioned here but I can't find it in the list
> archives... is there a reason why this is a bad idea, or has it simply
> not been implemented yet?

The idea was to add a _darcs/prefs/ignore file which would list patches to
ignore, and would apply to both pushes and pulls.  Then I'd want to add a
'i' flag to push and pull that would allow you to interactively add a patch
to the ignore file.  I still think it's a good idea, and would like to do
it some time, but haven't gotten around to it.  The main reason for that is
that I don't expect to use it personally... it's mostly useful (I imagine,
and leaving out your suggested use, which is reasonable) for people who are
working on someone else's project, and either want to have some private
changes that they won't accidentally push to the central repo (e.g. a darcs
replace David Stupid *.lhs...), or there are certain patches they want to
avoid pulling from the central repository (neither of which apply to me on
any project with which I use darcs).  (BTW, if you had remembered that I
used the term "ignore" for this prefs file, googling for "darcs-users
ignore" shows up an email from me on the subject.)

In theory we could support regexps in ignore, which would be even nicer for
your purposes I imagine, since you could just add a flag to every change
affecting a given directory.  This brings up another thing I'd like to
have, which is a format for specifying matches to patch IDs, rather than
the current behavior which is always to query via regexps on the patch
name.  This would be a pervasive change, but also a great improvement, so
you could, for example, ask darcs changes for changes in March of last
year, or for changes by droundy, or changes *not* by droundy.  This,
however, will require some thought, quite a bit of parsing (and probably
intelligent date conversions), and a fair amount of good design.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org