[darcs-users] Problem with darcs-0.9.17-win32.zip

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu Mar 18 00:30:06 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 01:24:49PM +0000, libogen . wrote:
> Fail:
> _darcs/patches/20040316191817-45803-8fc40f2b3438c2b6dc47cd3fbb97015d0459a064.gz-0:
> removeFile: permission denied (Permission denied)

This has been reported (a couple of days ago, and in private email, as I
recall), and I've looked into it a bit, but since I don't have windows (and
the reporter doesn't know haskell), it's been guesswork mostly.  My best
guess at the moment is that somehow the file is getting created with
read-only permissions, which on a POSIX system would prevent its removal,
but on windows does.  But it's unclear to me why this file still exists.
It should have been renamed to XXXXX.gz, and then the nonexistent
XXXXX.gz-0 file would be deleted (and I'd catch the exception generated).
So something's a bit weird here.

Hopefully this will get found by one of our windows-using haskell people.
If you do want to help work on this... well, I recomend going with
MSYS/mingw rather than cygwin, but I'm not really the person to ask.
http://www.abridgegame.org