[darcs-users] Re: Problem with darcs-0.9.17-win32.zip

libogen . libogen at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 18 09:59:14 UTC 2004

Thanks for the replies.

Ketil Malde <ketil at ii.uib.no> writes: - with tongue firmly in cheek!

>Don't tell anybody I told you, but you could also look at Subversion
>(think of it as CVS with some of the warts removed), or, closer to the
>darcs philosophy, Monotone and (Tom Lord's) Arch.
>
>I don't use Windows, so I don't know their status on that platform.

I'd looked at those other projects and more eg. DCVS, Meta-CVS, SVK & OpenCM
;-)

For anyone else in a similar situation i.e. wanting a vcs on Win9x & Linux:

Subversion failed for me on Win98se at "svn import......". On Windows, the
server is supposed to run on Win NT/2000/XP/2003. That's pretty good but I
only have Win98se & WinME at home.

No Win binaries exists for Monotone. Looking through the archive of the
monotone-devel mailing list I can see that there are some people interested
in the availability of a Win binary (or perhaps even code that builds on
Win) but it doesn't appear that any developer is actively working on it.

After looking through GNU Arch's website and documentation, it is a vcs
which it's core developers are creating for Nix platforms. Whilst it is
running it relies on some native Nix utilities. There are attempts to get
Arch running on Win. However it is stated on their website "Don't expect to
have a full-blown arch on your Microsoft computer". Clearly this project is
not keen on the Windows platform.

I know CVS works on Win98se (I've tested it) but I prefer a distributed vcs,
hence my interest in darcs and a darcs Win binary.

David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> wrote:

>If you do want to help work on this... well, I recomend going with
>MSYS/mingw rather than cygwin, but I'm not really the person to ask.

I don't mind working with either MinGW or Cygwin :)

Vladimir Vysotsky <trivee at noir.crocodile.org> wrote:

>I've already found and fixed this problem, the patch has been sent
>to David.

Great!

>I would like to fix some more bugs under Win 32 and post an updated
>build. Please wait a couple of days.

Not a problem :-)

BTW, what are you using to build darcs on Windows?

Thanks again,
Kieran