[darcs-users] patch file naming

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Fri Mar 19 08:19:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, David Roundy wrote:

> but the problem is that there is almost nothing that is canonical about
> a patch.  The filename could change, the patch contents could change,
> almost anything could change.

I still haven't got this aspect of darcs clear in my head. Is there
anything that can't change? For example, can the contents change due to
human intervention? ("this patch can't apply here but this equivalent but
completely different textually one will") - in that case it's clearly
impossible. Or is it just that [for standard patches] filenames mentioned
might be changed by commuting with file renames, and that hunks to be
applied directly might turn into mergers?

Cheers,

Ganesh