[darcs-users] patch file naming

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Fri Mar 19 08:39:11 UTC 2004

Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> I still haven't got this aspect of darcs clear in my head. Is there
> anything that can't change?

I am not an expert. Based on a few minutes of thinking, my current
suspicion is that we can think of a patch as having two aspects: WHAT
and WHERE. I am guessing that the WHAT cannot change as a result of two
patches being commuted, but the WHERE will often change.

A hunk patch will often have the line numbers adjusted up or down to
compensate for other hunk patches in that file. Any patch that affects a
file will have its target file changed to accomodate file renames or moves.

But I can't think of a case where the actual hunk text would change, nor
the token replace details. Obviously, with a patch like move, the only
WHAT is that it is a rename. The WHERE is the interesting part, and it
may change.

Of course, I still haven't worked enough with merges to know if they
break this hypothesis.

Even if true, I doubt this helps move us toward a canonical form,
unfortunately. It does help my framework of understanding, though. If
true, that is.

Kevin