[darcs-users] push and send

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri Mar 19 11:10:49 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 08:21:25AM +0100, Gour wrote:
> Here is the header:

> Date: 19 Mar 2004 07:12:55 +0100
> To: wxruby at qualitycode.com
> From: gour at mail.inet.hr
> Subject: darcs patch
> Cc: gour at mail.inet.hr
> DarcsURL: http://qualitycode.com/repos/wxruby/
>
> The problem is, imho, that Return-Path: header contains: gaura.nitai.hr
> which is just my localhost domain, but not fqdn, and therefore
> destination server is (probably) marking the message as a spam.
>
> When I use mutt as a normal mailer, all the messages have correct

I think this is probably a qmail configuration problem.  All the headers
before the To: header are added by qmail.  On the other hand, somehow mutt
is doing things right... Hmmm.

> What can be done that dialup users can more easily send darcs patches?
>
> Maybe some switch to use external mailer or ..?

Well, I'd try first experimenting a bit to see why qmail isn't giving the
right Return-Path.  You can call it directly by taking the above messaging,
editing out all the headers but To, From, Subject and Cc, and then calling

/usr/lib/sendmail < cleaned_message

This should reproduce the result that darcs gives (i.e. the wrong
Return-Path).  If it doesn't, then we'll have a clue what's going wrong.

As a (very) crude hack, you could temporarily replace sendmail with a shell
script (or perl script or whatever) that writes its arguments and stdin to
log files to find out how mutt is calling sendmail--this is assuming that
mutt actually does call sendmail.

I think I've run out of ideas, but this is definitely something I'd like to
make sure "just works", at least as far as is possible.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org