[darcs-users] patch file naming

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Mar 20 12:08:34 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 10:41:22AM +0000, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Kevin Smith wrote:
>
> > I am not an expert. Based on a few minutes of thinking, my current
> > suspicion is that we can think of a patch as having two aspects: WHAT
> > and WHERE. I am guessing that the WHAT cannot change as a result of two
> > patches being commuted, but the WHERE will often change.

Actually, the WHAT can also change, for example if a token replace is
commuted with a hunk patch containing the token.

> If that's true, then perhaps one could work out some kind of "minimal"
> source tree that such a patch could possibly apply to; a canonical
> representation of the patch would then be the minimal source tree + the
> result of applying the patch to that tree. Of course, it's not at all
> clear what filenames to pick for such a tree.

Indeed, a minimal tree could be introduced, but determining it would be a
*very* slow operation--most likely something like O(N^2), but possibly
worse.  And of course it would require a complete repository.  For
occasional consistency checks, such a trick might be feasible, but
definitely not for inclusion in every patch.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org