[darcs-users] patch file naming

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Mar 20 12:53:10 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 11:16:54AM -0500, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:

> Serial numbers are safer than timestamps, because (a) synchronization
> between clocks on different computers is not robust even in the
> non-adversarial case, and is impossible (for current state of the art) in
> the adversarial case.

Since synchronization of serial numbers between different computers is
impossible, I'm not sure what they would gain us.  I think the best thing
to do us just to check recent patches to see if they have the same name,
author and time when recording.

> (b) the monotonicity of the clock on a single computer is not robust even
> in the non-adversarial case, and is even less robust in the adversarial
> case.

If someone has the capability of resetting your clock, I think the danger
of them tricking you into recording a second patch with the same name as
one you previously recorded is the least of your worries.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org