[darcs-users] push and send

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Mar 20 19:14:53 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 01:39:55PM +0100, Gour wrote:
> David Roundy (droundy at abridgegame.org) wrote:
>
> > I think this is probably a qmail configuration problem.  All the headers
> > before the To: header are added by qmail.  On the other hand, somehow mutt
> > is doing things right... Hmmm.
>
> Actually, (after some thinking) no wonder and it's not qmail.
>
> I'm logged as gour and my localhost (alias) is gaura.nitai.hr.
>
> So, darcs uses  my localusername at localhostdomain in Return-Path.
>
> (qmail's defaultdomain is: gaura.nitai.hr)
>
> Mutt works since  I use profiles, .e.g
>
> my_hdr From: Gour <gour at mail.inet.hr>
> my_hdr Reply-To: Gour <gour at mail.inet.hr>
>
> set realname="Gour"
>
> set hostname=mail.inet.hr
>
> and therefore everything works nicely.

It sounds to me like you should set qmail's default domain to mail.inet.hr.

> > Well, I'd try first experimenting a bit to see why qmail isn't giving the
> > right Return-Path.  You can call it directly by taking the above messaging,
> > editing out all the headers but To, From, Subject and Cc, and then calling
>
> So, I assume qmail working as expected - giving Right-Path which is
> according to my local username & localhost domain.

I think this is the problem.  qmail should be setting the Return-Path
correctly, and if the localhost domain isn't correct, then it shouldn't be
using it.

> > I think I've run out of ideas, but this is definitely something I'd like to
> > make sure "just works", at least as far as is possible.
>
> So, something like mutt's: "set hostname" is required or some switch for
> external mailer like mutt, or is it anticipated that dialup users should
> have their ISP's fqdn as localhost's domain?

Darcs certainly shouldn't have something like "set hostname", qmail should.
I don't think it is darcs' business to figure out how to correctly send
email from your computer, that is your MTA's business.
http://www.abridgegame.org