[darcs-users] push and send

Vadim Zaliva lord at crocodile.org
Sun Mar 21 07:19:01 UTC 2004

On Mar 20, 2004, at 15:30, Gour wrote:

> When I send email with mutt, mutt sets correct hostname and there is
> no problem.

my guess is that mutt uses SMTP to send email, while darcs invokes
sendmail program.

> What about dialup users which use several email accounts, which is not
> so
> unusual? What is the 'correct' domain name that should be used for
> localhost
> alias?

To me, this looks like mail system configuration issue, not darcs.

> What about some hook for external mailer? Or simple solution to just
> use
> darcs send -o patchname and then manually launch mutt and put
> everything in
> order :-)

darcs sends MIME message, you could not easily send from mutt. You need
to set
correct content-types for parts.

> I'd also like to hear from some other dialup users how they plan or
> how they
> use darcs' send feature when on dialup. (I understand that when you are
> connected directly to the net, then it's not a problem, but in that
> case one
> can also have darcs installed on the server etc.)

I think sending via SMTP is more generic way to send email than
invoking sendmail.
This also would work on any platform (no more windows MAPI hack, which
does not seems
to be working last time we tried).

Quick search yielded couple of SMTP libraries darcs can use:

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2003-December/001576.html
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/haskell-libs/libs/email/SMTP.hs?
view=markup

Vadim

--
"La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien a ajouter, mais
quand il ne reste rien a enlever."  (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)