[darcs-users] push and send

Gour gour at mail.inet.hr
Sun Mar 21 20:10:01 UTC 2004

David Roundy (droundy at abridgegame.org) wrote:

> There are any number of MTAs that allow you to send mail (and configure the
> sending of mail) without running a server on your box.  qmail, sendmail,
> exima and postfix come to mind as perhaps the most common.  Any of these
> will let the user simply specify which SMTP server to use.  A quick look at
> freshmeat also shows nbsmtp and nullmailer, which both claim to be easier
> to set up for this sort of a configuration.

I don't have problems with MTA  - I'm running qmail on my box for a few years
already, I'm just interested how to circumvent the problem with "darcs send".

> BTW, I don't see any reason why you'd need to use separate SMTP servers to
> send mail from your two accounts... I guess it depends on how the SMTP
> servers are configured, but most ISPs (as I understand things) don't
> restrict your From: address, so you can use their SMTP server for all your
> email.

Well, I have experience where servers use smtp authorization and/or does not
allow relaying though their servers.

But, I'm asking how to use darcs' send feature without fqdn, i.e. by using my
ISP's as smtp relay as in a typical dialup setup?

With mutt, I'm setting hostname according to my profile, but what to do with
darcs & sending patches?

Sincerely,
Gour

--