[darcs-users] push and send

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Mon Mar 22 13:48:59 UTC 2004

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 09:10:01PM +0100, Gour wrote:
> David Roundy (droundy at abridgegame.org) wrote:
>
> > There are any number of MTAs that allow you to send mail (and configure the
> > sending of mail) without running a server on your box.  qmail, sendmail,
> > exima and postfix come to mind as perhaps the most common.  Any of these
> > will let the user simply specify which SMTP server to use.  A quick look at
> > freshmeat also shows nbsmtp and nullmailer, which both claim to be easier
> > to set up for this sort of a configuration.
>
> I don't have problems with MTA - I'm running qmail on my box for a few
> years already, I'm just interested how to circumvent the problem with
> "darcs send".
>
> > BTW, I don't see any reason why you'd need to use separate SMTP servers to
> > send mail from your two accounts... I guess it depends on how the SMTP
> > servers are configured, but most ISPs (as I understand things) don't
> > restrict your From: address, so you can use their SMTP server for all your
> > email.
>
> Well, I have experience where servers use smtp authorization and/or does
> not allow relaying though their servers.
>
> But, I'm asking how to use darcs' send feature without fqdn, i.e. by
> using my ISP's as smtp relay as in a typical dialup setup?
>
> With mutt, I'm setting hostname according to my profile, but what to do
> with darcs & sending patches?

As I said, if you configure your MTA to send mail properly, darcs will send
mail properly.  That's all there is to it.  If configuring your MTA is too
hard, switch to another MTA.  Just because mutt has the capability of
working around a misconfigured MTA doesn't mean that every program should.
It's best to fix the problem at its source, which is the MTA, then all your
programs will be able to send email properly.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org