[darcs-users] push and send

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Tue Mar 23 15:25:32 UTC 2004

Gour wrote:
> David Roundy (droundy at abridgegame.org) wrote:
>
>>As I said, if you configure your MTA to send mail properly, darcs will send
>>mail properly.
>
> OK. I surrender. I 'solved' a problem by defining QMAILHOST environment

I'm really glad Gour solved his problem. Now, I would like to understand
how this will work for MS Windows users, who don't normally have an MTA
running on their system. Actually,on my Debian system (that I have been
using for 3 years), I don't have an MTA configured to allow outgoing
mail. I send all mail directly to my ISP's SMTP server.

Do I understand that darcs currently sends email by attempting to launch
an external "sendmail" command? If so, we'll need to bundle one with
darcs for the MS Windows release. Or does it send via SMTP on localhost?
If that's the case, most Windows users will have a hard time using the
Send feature, and so will I.

Seems like allowing the user to specify an SMTP server would be far more
portable and user-friendly. Maybe I'm missing something.

Kevin