[darcs-users] push and send

Gour gour at mail.inet.hr
Tue Mar 23 15:51:02 UTC 2004

Kevin Smith (yarcs at qualitycode.com) wrote:

> Do I understand that darcs currently sends email by attempting to launch
> an external "sendmail" command? If so, we'll need to bundle one with
> darcs for the MS Windows release. Or does it send via SMTP on localhost?
> If that's the case, most Windows users will have a hard time using the
> Send feature, and so will I.

Yes, it uses sendmail and picks default hostname as domain & local user name,
so Return-Path looks like: localusername at hostname.

> Seems like allowing the user to specify an SMTP server would be far more
> portable and user-friendly. Maybe I'm missing something.

I'm also for such a solution. Dialup users usually have different profiles and
and every normal mailer enables one to choose preferred SMTP server according
to his profile.

My 'solution' means that I'm stuck with the SMTP server choosen when setting
QMAILHOST env. variable, since I cannot use e.g. "mail.inet.hr" as
defaultdomain (in qmail) and have it in "locals".

Solution which I have with mutt to choose which profile to use (when sending
email) is the same as with any other standalone mailer, and it's the one I'd
like to have with darcs.

Sincerely,
Gour

--