[darcs-users] pushing / checkpoints don't play nicely

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed Mar 24 12:39:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 03:54:07AM +0000, Charles Goodwin wrote:
> If you darcs get --partial from a repo with a checkpoint and
> create/record a patch, then darcs push --and-apply will fail to either a
> full repo or a darcs get --partial repo.
>
> Try:
> 1) darcs get --partial http://darcs.smallmerchant.com/ibex twice
> 2) in one of the get folders, edit a file (eg src/org/ibex/Box.java)
> 3) record the patch
> 4) push the patch to your other unmodified get folder
> 5) watch it fail complaining about a missing gz of a patch from before
>    the checkpoint

This is already fixed in the latest darcs, but thanks for the report
anyways! Probably this means I should make another release soon...

BTW, I'm confident that there are more bugs to be found in working with
--partial repositories, and I'm definitely interested in hearing about
them (perhaps after the next release).  I'm not sure these bugs are
particularly important by themselves, but they always indicate that darcs
is being inefficient, since they only show up if darcs is reading patches
it doesn't need to be reading, so they're worth fixing for more reason than
one.  I'm not sure that sentence made sense...
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org